Silk Noil Necklace

   Many knots are used to display or enhance a talisman.  I wanted to make a necklace to carry the talisman that wold be comfortable and have interest in the yarn.  I spun this four ply cabled cord from tussah silk noil, dyed with Easter egg dyes, and bombyx more top.  The silk was blended on a drum carder (sample N1).  

     The singles were Z twisted as tightly as possible, folded with a S twist and balanced in Z twist (sample N2).  when I tried knotting the cord it abraded more than I liked.  I tried using hair spray and like the results better (sample N4).
     The cord was measured than soaked in corn starch and dried (sample N6).  I sampled a few knots with this method (sample N5).  It looked good and seemed to wash out acceptable.  the turquoise talisman was threaded in the center then a pan chang was tied with a double cord.  Next glass beads were added and brocade knots, beads and triple connection knots, beads and finally phoenix tail knots were tied.
   The necklace was finished with silver cone findings that secured the ends.   Using quality findings is a good  alternative to tassels and slip button knots.  Be careful, some findings rust, some are not durable.  If you have put the time into the spinning and knotting (it takes longer to knot the cord than to spin it) use findings worthy of the work.

wpe3F.jpg (12154 bytes)

     The earrings were knotted with the benefit of starch.  they are a good luck not hung on silver plated findings.
     The corn starch was removed by soaking the necklace and earrings in very warm water with Ivory liquid.  They were give a vinegar rinse to bring back the luster of the silk.  I thought the findings were good but found that the rings were not quality and they rusted.  The silk also did not return to its original beauty after washing I was very disappointed.

wpe73.jpg (18307 bytes)

 Enlargement of pan chang and talisman. The colors in the cord were not picked up well by the camera.

Note the tarnish on the earring.

wpe7E.jpg (4942 bytes)
wpe84.jpg (9004 bytes)
This picture depicts the color in the cord much better.